Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksfeasting






This Thanksgiving business is definitely growing on me. Each year we've been here, we've made a bit of a feast at home to enjoy... but there's only so much you can be bothered to cook when it's for just two adults and two fussy little eaters. Happily, this year we spent the afternoon and evening at a friend's home. He'd only recently moved in, so there was a lot of ogling to be had with the amazing views from his balcony.

My own contribution were Coconut Custard Pies for dessert - probably one of the easiest things to bake. I needed something I'd made before, and was fail-proof, as there were about fifteen adults there. Attempting a more traditional Thanksgiving side dish would have been daunting, but it was wonderful to sample the fabulous creations from the others. I think I ate (probably) the best mashed potato ever - heaven for a carb lover like myself. For the first time ever, I tried something called Corn Bake... oh my! I need to find a recipe and make it.

Anyhow, I like Thanksgiving. Obviously it's not a tradition I had growing up, because our number one day for ridiculously over-the-top feasting is Christmas, but having a day - like Thanksgiving - to reflect on how fortunate we are, is something everyone can benefit from (mind you, that kind of gratitude should not be reserved for once a year only). I also appreciate how Thanksgiving is about getting together, without the pressure and mindless consumerism that Christmas pretty much is these days. That's just my take on it.

As for now, we have a four-day weekend to enjoy. This time last year, we spent the weekend in Las Vegas, so I've been feeling reminiscent about that, and the drive through the desert. Time to start figuring out a way to make a Californian road trip to a white Christmas destination happen, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment