Thursday, January 8, 2015

The twenty-year cycle


2014 has bitten the dust without me even getting a chance to sit down and muse about it. Do I have a lot to say about it? Not really. What I can say, though, is that 2014 was:

- Our first full year as Seattleites. Winter, spring, summer, autumn, and back to winter. My favourite part? Always summer. Spring, a close second. Winter blows. The weather here is like that mean boyfriend who is also capable of treating you like a princess... but more often mean. That's Seattle. The climate does not agree with me for a good chunk of the year, but now that we've had two whole summers here? When it's summer, I can't think of a better place in the world to be. It's stunning and perfect, and a damn good thing it exists or I'd possibly be on the next plane outta here.

- A good time to revisit grunge. The EMP Museum has had a great Nirvana and grunge exhibition all year long, which we've ended up seeing a few times (whenever we've gone to check out newer exhibitions, we always find ourselves back in the Nirvana section). Twenty years since Kurt Cobain's death really only feels like ten years - at the most.

- My first full year back in the workforce since P was born, even if just part-time. Have I figured out what I want to do with my life, career-wise? Not yet, but contributing a few extra dollars to the household has done wonders for my self-seteem, even if it's only a small amount of money.

- The year I began wearing liquid eyeliner again. I'm not sure why I ever stopped, but I wore it often when I was a teenager. It's a classic look, right?

- The year I began wearing Converse again. I used to live in Chucks back in the day, but moved away into other kinds of sneakers for some reason. Like liquid eyeliner, these sneakers began to appeal to me again, and now I can't imagine not putting them on most days - at least until summer is back.

In short, 2014 was the year of 1994 for me, the year I began revisiting my eighteen-year-old self. Perhaps it's an early mid-age crisis. Perhaps I'll get my nose re-pierced next. I'm still working on a tattoo design, so why not? I think I'll draw the line at Doc Marten boots though. I spent enough years wearing those, so I'll leave them for the real eighteen-year-olds to party in.

No comments:

Post a Comment