Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Portrait time

I've posted very few photos of myself on this blog. Initially, it was because I planned on remaining somewhat anonymous, but over time I've included enough tidbits about myself that I'm sure anyone who knows me in real life would figure it out if they stumbled across this blog. Well, that and the fact that my daughters' photos are all over this blog are a bit of a giveaway.

Anyhow, I saw a writing prompt the other day that appealed to me - not so much a writing prompt as a photo prompt, perhaps: Share a photo that was taken of you, that you think really captures who you are. 

Game on.

The funny thing was that I had to dig fairly far back in the old archives to find a picture that said enough about me. That I don't feel as though recent photos capture 'me' enough? A little strange, I know. Maybe they do, and it's just my perception. Maybe it's just that I really love the photo I chose, and it's a favourite.

So without further ado, I present this.


It's an oldie, taken back in the northern summer of 1999, when we'd first started living in London. I was the ripe old age of twenty-three. A baby, really.

I love this photo because it looks so timeless. Apart from my shoes, it could have been taken as far back as the 1960s - an era I have a soft spot for. I used to have quite a thing for head scarves, and the reasoning for that hasn't changed - they're a great way to hide bad hair days (of which I am blessed with many), and even though I can't remember the last time I wore one, I do tend to tie my hair back when I don't want to deal with it. That would be most days.

This photo captures that I'm a fairy casual dresser. I live in jeans and tops. Sneakers/ballet flats in the cooler months, thongs (flip-flops for you non-Aussie readers) and Birkenstocks in the summer. I don't own much in the way of dressier clothing, and can count on one hand the number of dresses I have.

I'm not big on make-up either. At the most, a bit of eye make-up, concealer and lip gloss... when I want to make the effort. That's not often, though. Some might see this as ballsy confidence ("Wow, no make-up? You must be pretty happy with how you look!") but me? I call it simple case of could-not-be-arsed.

Photos of me with various cats, not necessarily my own? There are plenty of those around. I'm a cat person, yes, but I've been smitten with particular dogs too.

The old VW Beetle here is a rather convenient final touch. It was our neighbours' car and we envied them (although not the part about driving one of these during English winters). We'd had one in Sydney, which we sold - sadly - prior to living in the UK.

Enough with the superficial stuff, anyway.

When I look at this photo, I'm not nostalgic for an adventurous spirit that once existed, because I know it's still there. Small kids are in the big picture now... but here I am, thirteen years later, and living in another foreign country.

In some ways I've changed (who doesn't after having kids?) but for the most part, I like the think that the essence of 'me' is still here.



Linking up with Mama Kat's Losin' It




11 comments:

  1. Cute picture! And there's a lot in it to show who you are. (I love the shoes, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photo! I can definitely see why it would be a favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a FABULOUS picture! You look so retro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it!!!! I love your hair scarf thingy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun post--I think we all "picture" ourselves different than we actually are. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really CUTE pic of you! You do look adventurous and care-free. It's so much harder to live that way with little kids in the picture. But I have no doubt your inner spirit will find a way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, I like the scarf LOL! Matches your socks. And you just look happy. Not an ooh I'm getting my picture taken, let me pose and look happy kinda happy. Just happy happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The composition of this picture and the muted colors besides the purple shirt may this a great photo. As for the subject, you look beautifully natural, happy and young. As for the adventurous spirit, you know it's still in there. It's a timing thing. I'm a recent empty nester (sad and happy at the same time) and the world is my oyster. You'll have it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picture and it really does have a retro vibe. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swoon!

    You KNOW I love this picture. Bloody perfect.

    Who wouldn't want to know this girl? Seriously.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photo! I tried the "staying anonymous" thing to and had the same issues and then reality set in so I posted a few of myself. Great site, keep it up!
    Tracie

    ReplyDelete